Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ensconced

I was recently tempted to use ensconced as a synonym for entrenched. If you've followed the links, you know how foolish I feel. Entrenched is more an embattled, impervious state of being, whereas ensconced is a pleasant little settled situation. Protection is involved, but, I don't know, it just doesn't seem as ugly.

I like that word, ensconced. It makes me think of scones. There should probably be a more astute observation here, but the whole skull, defensive, protecting, candle-holding etymology just didn't do a lot for me. But scones, entirely unrelated to sconces in any form of diction whatsoever, are much more satisfying. Not so much verbally. They're just really yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I always think of entrenched as being too much work. Ensconced, however, sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments and arguments, especially if you cite your sources (no need to use MLA style or anything).